Wednesday, January 25, 2012

More than meets the eye...

Art teachers are often disregarded as the low man on the totem pole, have the time schools , that actually have art teachers-have us work from carts which they expect us to be able to fit enough art supplies to do valuable lessons to all students that attend that school. I am proud to say I am not art on a cart,nor am I the low man on the totem pole. I am one of the lucky ones who landed a gig at a great school with great supporters of the arts. I could only wish most schools could even begin to understand and respect the importance of art in schools. Art teachers,especially  passionate art teachers, create lessons that do more then please the eye. We introduce a vast amount of vocabulary and help kids learn to problem solve and to exercise their voices. We all know most art teachers  start off as little rebels themselves...so fostering the inner anarchist is second nature. Art teachers don't believe in cookie cutter images but still uphold the highest standards for their students. It is about quality not quantity in the art room. Not only are we building solid art techniques but we are developing ways to channel creativity through different art mediums. I hope you see through this blog that art is important and often times like art teachers, children are under estimated in their potential. My students are amazing kids  who I feel so lucky to be able to teach them the skills to become knowledgeable and capable artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment